Facts & Tips
Solar Energy – Energy released by the sun from 3 distinct regions of the solar light spectrum
- UV rays 3%
- Visible Light 45%
- Near Infrared (NIR) 52% (where the heat we experience comes from)
- How much fading potential comes through a window
- Light in the spectral region from 300 to 700 nanometers
- The lower the Fading Transmission number the better the glass is for reducing fading potential for carpets and furniture
Visible Light Transmittance (VLT)
- How much light passes through a window
- This is the visible light that we see
- The higher the VLT%, the more light is transferred through a window
U-Value or U-Factor
- How much heat transfers through a window
- The lower the U-Value, the slower the rate of heat flow, thereby better insulation performance
A bedroom without an exterior door will require an EGRESS complaint window
*All 4 criteria are required to pass EGRESS
20” minimum (net clear opening) width.
24” minimum (net clear opening) height.
Minimum Total 5.7 sqft. (net clear opening) vent space.
Maximum 44” sill height off finish floor.